• Rose Meets Mr Wintergarten by Bob Graham. Here Rose and her family move into the house next door to a recluse whose yard has become overgrown. Rose is determined to befriend him.
• A Bus Called Heaven by Bob Graham. Here a young girl called Stella creates a haven for her neighbourhood in a dumped bus.
• That's Not a Daffodil by Elizabeth Honey. Here Tom's elderly neighbour gives him a bulb that they plant and watch grow.
• Nobody's Granny by Tessa Brady. Here the children in an elderly lady's neighbourhood collaborate to build her a fence in exchange for playing in her garden.
• Leaves for Mr Walter by Janeen Brian and David Cox. Here Emilia befriends grumpy Mr Walter who lives next door and together they create a treehouse.
And if you do want a book with 'neighbours' in the title, dig out Mum, Midge and the Neighbours by Phil Cummings and Ritva Vitoula.