Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Curious Creatures, Wild Minds




When the CBCA announced this slogan for Book Week I did wonder how I was going to explain it to and enthuse my under eight year old audience in the library. 'Curious' is a word I use with them quite often and I know that they like to use that word. It is good that it has two meanings.

1. eager to know or learn something  & 2. strange or unusual     
Then if we add 
synonyms: for 1. inquisitive: intrigued; interested
for 2: odd; peculiar; unusual; bizarre; weird; eccentric    

We then have quite a lot to work with. I have had fun collecting books to put together a display. I added the 'wild' from wild minds to make half of the display to be a collection of books that explore unusual wild animals. I started with questions like
• What is an okapi?
• What is an axolotl?
• What is a pangolin?
• What is a tenrec?
• What is uakari?
• What is an ibex?
• What is an aye-aye?
• What is a wonga-wonga?
and then I realised there are so many animals I could add to this list. Just look in books such as 

• Weird and Wonderful Animals  by Rosella Trionfetti and Cristina Banfi
• The World of Weird Animals Series  by Jess Keating
         Pink is for Blobfish
         Cute as an Axolotl
         Gross as a Snot Otter
         What Makes a Monster?
• Who are You Calling Weird?  by Marilyn Singer and Paul Davis  
• Weird Animals  by Mary Kay Carson
• Lesser Spotted Animals by Martin Brown
• Even More Lesser Spotted Animals by Martin Brown
• Who Am I? by Steve Jenkins
• Tenrec's Twigs  by Bert Kitchen

And for those very mixed up animals, read:                                
• Hello Hello  by Brendan Wenzel
• The Wild Fluffalump by Mwenye Hadithi
• Greedy Zebra by Mwenye Hadithi
• Call Me Gorgeous  by Giles and Alexandra Milton

See more on Pinterest here.




1 comment:

  1. All of these ideas will make a brilliant display for your lucky students. I am curious about the wonga-wonga? Love that name.

    ReplyDelete