Thursday, November 9, 2023

19th June International Cardboard Box Day







I know it's not the 19th June, but yesterday at school Year 2 were involved in a design and make day with other schools as well, using cardboard boxes. A few years ago Kindergarten did a unit of inquiry on Building and they too made things using cardboard boxes. Back then we used to 'flood' the classrooms with a bulk loan from the library to accompany their unit of inquiry, so I have built up quite a collection of books that feature cardboard boxes and building. Sadly, none of these made their way to Year 2 before they embarked on their activity. This made me look online to see if there was a day to celebrate cardboard boxes and there is, the 19th June! Next year the library will feature a box display in honour of this event!

I would use these books among others:

• The Cardboard Box Book  by Roger Priddy

• Out of the Box  by Jemma Westing

• What Can I Do With a Cardboard Box  by James Maclaine

• Boxitects by Kim Smith

• The Box Full of Wonders by Karl Newson

• What to do with a Box  by Jane Yolen

• Star Jumper by Frank Asch

• The Nowhere Box  by Sam Zuppardi

• Mabel and Sam at Home  by Linda Urban

• The Man Who Loved Boxes by Stephen Michael King

• Not a Box by Antoinette Portis

• Chistina Katerina and the Box  by Patricia Lee Gauch

• Big Box Little Box  by Caryl Hart

• A Box Can Be Many Things  by Dana Meachan Ray

• The Box Boy  by Mal Webster

• Mila and Ivy  by Katrina McKelvey

• Eggbox Dragon  by Richard Adams






1 comment:

  1. I love this topic - what a shame no one thought to borrow all of your wonderful and inspirational books!

    ReplyDelete