Saturday, February 15, 2014

15th February World Whale Day



Driving through Mona Vale today I saw a sign advertising celebrations for World Whale Day and thought what a pity it was so close to so many other celebrations because children love whales and reading about them and it would have made a wonderful library display. Luckily in Australia we have National Whale Day as well in June so there will be another opportunity to put together a wonderful display of  books about whales.

In fact in the last month or so I have bought several new books for the library that feature whales and these four have especially memorable illustrations and are worth borrowing to read.

• If You Want to See a Whale by Julie Fogliano &  Erin Stead
• The Storm Whale by Benji Davies
• Whale Shines by Fiona Robinson
• Welcome Home by Christina Booth




And of course there's always older favourites that always work well when read aloud such as:
• The Lighthouse Keeper's Rescue by Ronda & David Armitage
• My Friend Whale by Simon James, and
•  The Morning I Met a Whale by Michael Morpurgo & Christian Birmingham








4 comments:

  1. I do wish I had known this earlier in the day. I like to send my teachers news of daily celebrations, author birthdays etc once each week. Monday is the birthday of Banjo Paterson but I would also have liked to tell them about the whales. Living and working on the coast whales and other sea mammals hold a special fascination. My favourite whale - which I will probably never actually see is the Narwhal. You book list gives me more titles to add to my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should also say my favourite whale book is The Whale's Song by Dyan Sheldon. You can almost hear the music of the whales in this beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Dyan Sheldon's book too and we have it, but I decided to stick to new and ones I share regularly with classes. We could do a whale Pinterest page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please Whales and other sea creatures might be good ... Sharks, penguins, dolphins etc.

      Delete