Tuesday, November 22, 2011

24th November Gloria Houston





It is Gloria Houston's birthday and she is the author responsible for one of my all time favourite children's books with a Christmas setting and it is that time of year again when I can enjoy reading it to and discussing it with classes. The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree is set in Appalachia during World War I, a time and place that is quite foreign to my children in Australia but the task Ruthie performs leaves them awestruck and inspired. I have never had this story fail.

While on the topic of must-read Christmas books, here are other long picture books that I enjoy reading and the children sit transfixed for:
Fair's Fair by Leon Garfield and Margaret Chamberlain (this edition is out of print but worth looking for in a library because its illustrations capture the time and mood of the story perfectly, in a way that later editions that look like small chapter books do not)
The Story of Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden and Barbara Cooney
The Legend of the Poinsettia by Tomie dePaola

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the book THE YEAR OF THE PERFECT CHRISTMAS TREE!

    ReplyDelete