So when I read it was Skipping Day in England today I thought I would investigate what they did in the way of skipping. It turns out that it is not a fundraising day, but purely about children, fun and good aerobic exercise. Schools can register, just like our Jump Rope and take part in activities that are planned and conducted by visitors to the school.
Today as I was putting Olive and the Big Secret by Tor Freeman back on the shelf, I noticed that Olive always seems to have a skipping rope in her hands and then I went to the catalogue to see what other books could be used to encourage skipping. There were three:
• Hop, Skip and Jump, Maisy! by Lucy Cousins
• Ready, Set, Skip! by Jane O'Connor and Ann James
• Elsie Piddock Skips in her Sleep by Eleanor Farejon and Charlotte Voake.
And then two books with skipping rhymes:
• One Two Skip a Few by Roberta Arenson
• Schoolyard Rhymes by Judy Sierra and Melissa Sweet
Roger Abrahams in the USA.