Tuesday, May 1, 2012

1st May Save the Rhino Day







Today I went looking in the library for books about rhinos and found...well not much. It seems that the rhinoceros is not an animal chosen by authors as a character for children's picture books. Is it because they are not seen as having endearing qualities physically or emotionally? But rhinos, especially black rhinos are endangered and we do need to make sure that they survive and thus, the need for Save the Rhino Day.

With my Year 2 classes at the moment we are researching animals of the African savannah and for most animals I have about ten good books. For rhinos only two, which are:
• Black Rhino by Rod Theodorou
Black Rhino by Malcolm Perry
For reading for pleasure, Shoo Rayner's series that retells Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories are favourites with my young readers , so search out • How the Rhino Got His Skin. I also found The Cross-with-us Rhinoceros a well borrowed story by John Bush and Paul Geraghty.

And good news two new books about rhinos:
My Rhinoceros by Jon Agee and
Running Rhino a new title in that wonderful series by Mwenye Hadithi and Adrienne Kennaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment