Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Curious Creatures, Wild Minds




When the CBCA announced this slogan for Book Week I did wonder how I was going to explain it to and enthuse my under eight year old audience in the library. 'Curious' is a word I use with them quite often and I know that they like to use that word. It is good that it has two meanings.

1. eager to know or learn something  & 2. strange or unusual     
Then if we add 
synonyms: for 1. inquisitive: intrigued; interested
for 2: odd; peculiar; unusual; bizarre; weird; eccentric    

We then have quite a lot to work with. I have had fun collecting books to put together a display. I added the 'wild' from wild minds to make half of the display to be a collection of books that explore unusual wild animals. I started with questions like
• What is an okapi?
• What is an axolotl?
• What is a pangolin?
• What is a tenrec?
• What is uakari?
• What is an ibex?
• What is an aye-aye?
• What is a wonga-wonga?
and then I realised there are so many animals I could add to this list. Just look in books such as 

• Weird and Wonderful Animals  by Rosella Trionfetti and Cristina Banfi
The World of Weird Animals Series  by Jess Keating
         Pink is for Blobfish
         Cute as an Axolotl
         Gross as a Snot Otter
         What Makes a Monster?
• Who are You Calling Weird?  by Marilyn Singer and Paul Davis  
Weird Animals  by Mary Kay Carson
Lesser Spotted Animals by Martin Brown
Even More Lesser Spotted Animals by Martin Brown
Who Am I? by Steve Jenkins
Tenrec's Twigs  by Bert Kitchen

And for those very mixed up animals, read:                                
Hello Hello  by Brendan Wenzel
The Wild Fluffalump by Mwenye Hadithi
 Greedy Zebra by Mwenye Hadithi
Call Me Gorgeous  by Giles and Alexandra Milton

See more on Pinterest here.




1 comment:

  1. All of these ideas will make a brilliant display for your lucky students. I am curious about the wonga-wonga? Love that name.

    ReplyDelete