Tuesday, August 16, 2022

28th July International Cockroach Appreciation Day

This week I read Mini Grey's outstanding new picture book The Greatest Show on Earth. This is the story of the entire history of Planet Earth. It is narrated by a group of insects who are putting on a show which will show the evolution of life on Earth. The insect that to me has a starring role is the cockroach! He almost looks appealing. This got me thinking about other books that feature that insect that Sydney-siders struggle with, cockroaches, and I remembered that Felicita Sala has also managed to make cockroaches the centre of attention and seem endearing in the two books she illustrated for Maggie Hutchings. I'm not sure we need a day to appreciate cockroaches though!

The students at school really enjoy these two story books which are told from the cockroach's point of view. They remind me of creative writing or 'composition' lessons as they were called when I was at school where we were often asked to write a story from an inanimate object or a speechless animal's point of view.

Cockroaches, as we all know have existed forever. As I often do I googles to see if there was Cockroach Day and lo and behold there is! It is called International Cockroach Appreciation Day and it is on the 28th July. We missed it, but I will be sure to do a display now for next year.  I'm  not sure they need my appreciation though. I will appreciate them vicariously through books.

Cockroaches even appear in folklore. Martina the cockroach appears in Cuban and Mexican folktales and versions of it are often published in English and Spanish. Not sure about the adjective 'beautiful' being associated with cockroaches, but this is the case again in this book where the cockroach is named Anastasia.

There are other stories worth searching out, such as Crickwing by Janell Cannon, another cockroach that you will feel sorry for.  Cocky Colin by Richard Tulloch, where Colin just wants not to live in the dark and be on show. The Super Fly  series where Super Fly and Fantastic Flea are forever trying to save the city of Stinkville from their arch nemesis, Crazy Cockroach. My all time favourite to read aloud is The Cockroach Cup  by Kim Caraher which is just the sort of thing we did as children, race cockroaches.








Luckily we have some more factual books which will give readers another view of cockroaches.






Have fun reading about them without having to deal with a live one! And if you want to buy something, buy the new Mini Grey. It is special.

















1 comment:

  1. I almost have no words! Cockroaches have a day, who knew, and so many books. My favourite very old book which features the most gruesome cockroach scene is Quentin's Lunch by Duncan Ball. A book for older Primary students where cockroaches are actually heroes is Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins. Alex Milway has a trailer for Hotel Flamingo which features a singing cockroach. I am not sure I could face this as a mini theme but thanks for another fun post.

    ReplyDelete