Friday, March 3, 2023

4th March World Engineering Day

World Engineering Day for Sustainable Development was proclaimed by UNESCO at its 40th General Conference in 2019. It is has been celebrated worldwide on 4th March of each year since 2020 as a UNESCO international day of celebration of engineers and engineering.

I have a six year old boy who visits the library quite often to see if i have bought anymore books about engineering. He announced very early on that he was going to be an engineer! neither of his parents are engineers, but he is sure that's what he wants to do. Initially it was easy to provide him with books. I gave him these:



 






But where do I go now?

After searching through the catalogue and reading blurbs I will try:
























I noticed how many of the books I was choosing had girls as main characters and thought how appropriate for this week as we will be celebrating International Women's Day. I have already done a display of biographies where I included books such as these:


Emily Roebling






Margaret E. Knight








Frances Gabe





 Zaha Hadid

(There are other biographies about Zaha as well)






Beatrice Shilling






Raye Montague




If you miss today, you can always celebrate International Women in Engineering Day on 23rd June.

No comments:

Post a Comment