Thursday, August 18, 2011

17th August Myra Cohn Livingston (1926 - 1996)



Myra Cohn Livingston is a very well known American poet and poetry anthologist who also did many other things that give reason for us to revere her highly.

Recently I read Can You Hear the Sea? by Judy Cumberbatch and Ken Wilson-Max and shared this Myra Cohn Livingston poem.

Shell

When it was time
for Show and Tell,
Adam brought a big pink shell.

He told about
the ocean roar
and walking on the sandy shore.

And then he passed
the shell around.
We listened to the water sound.

And that's the first time
I could hear
the wild waves calling to my ear.

I also love to revisit her poem Give Me a Book, a poem that explains my idyllic school-holiday childhood and her anthology Cat Poems because it has many of my favourite cat poems. There is a beautifully illustrated version of her poem Calendar by Will Hillenbrand, but this doesn't work in Australia because all the season references are for the northern hemisphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment