Thursday, June 21, 2012

21st June International Surfing Day


Wikipedia says that International Surfing Day is held annually on or near the date of the summer solstice (which is the winter solstice in Australia). It is usually the 21st June, except in leap years when it is on the 20th. This day is designed to celebrate the sport of surfing, the surfing lifestyle and the sustainability of ocean resources. Another purpose is to attract new participants to surfing.

This new book Surfer Chick by Kristy Dempsey and Henry Cole is bound to enthuse young children and to make them think about giving surfing a go. If you haven't got the book look at the trailer. Once I watched this trailer I went in search of more information about Kristy Dempsey and found an interview with her on the Nerdy Chicks Rule blog. Wow she is one special woman! A school librarian who says,
"I am addicted to matching the right book to the right person. I work as a librarian at a Preschool-12th grade school and I love being able to put the right book – you know the one that will addict them to reading– in the hands of my students."
Every school library and every student needs a librarian like her! I am flat out doing it for my 3 to 8 year olds. I can't imagine doing it for 3 to 18 year olds!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post highlighting Kristy and Surfer Chick! And thanks for mentioning Nerdy Chicks Rule on your blog. Happy International Surfing Day!

    Kami

    ReplyDelete