Thursday, January 31, 2019

2nd February Hedgehog Day

Hedgehog Day interests me, even though I've never seen a hedgehog,  because they seem so endearing.  This makes them ideal characters in so many children's picture books. Think Beatrix Potter's Mrs Tiggywinkle,  Isaac in Rosie Wellesley's The Helpful Hedgehog series, Little Hedgehog in M. Christina Butler's series of picture books, Horace and Hattiepillar in Hedgehugs or Hedgehog in Jonathan Emmett's Mole and Friends series and Max in Hodgeheg,  the novel by Dick King-Smith.

When I first read these books to classes, I did not have any factual books about hedgehogs in the library and we do not have them in Australia so like me, most of my students had not seen one. It is much easier now to share facts with classes because of the internet and I have purchased some good expository texts, the most recent being from the exemplary Nature Storybook series. It is called Say Hi to Hedgehogs! and is written and illustrated by Jane McGuinness. If you are looking for books to display see here.


1 comment:

  1. I love hedgehogs and last year I was able to touch a baby while I was in Suffolk. The Hodgeheg is a favourite of mine too.

    ReplyDelete