Friday, September 11, 2020

22nd September World Rhinoceros Day

I have written about rhinos before here, but I wanted to add some books to any celebration of Rhinoceros Day that you may have. I have been looking at 'true' animal stories while exploring the Book Week theme, Curious Creatures Wild Minds, with one of my classes. We looked at Rhino in the House: the True Story of Saving Samia and  Anna and Samia: the True Story of Saving a Black Rhino. Both of these books tell the story of Anna Merz, a wildlife conservationist and a baby black rhino that she rescues and plans to rehabilitate, ready to send back into the wild. She nurtures the calf, names it Samia, feeds it special formula, and even lets it sleep in her bed. The children were fascinated by what Anna did.          




We then looked at My Travels With Claraa book that follows the travels of a Dutch sea-captain and a black rhino from India to Venice with many adventures along the way. This story is reminiscent of the story of Zeraffa Giraffawhere a giraffe  travels from Africa to Paris.



Then last Thursday I covered and catalogued a new book called Rhinocorn Rules!  by Matt Carr and was pleasantly surprised to see that this book delivered far more than I thought it would. My readers like Matt Carr books, zany animal books, iridescent colours and unicorns so I picked it up in the book shop. On reading it, I found that the last two pages offered amazing facts about rhinos succinctly but very pertinently, perfect for Endangered Species Day.

See these and other rhino titles here on
my Pinterest page
.




No comments:

Post a Comment