Saturday, September 5, 2020

6th September Happy Father's Day

Even without mothers in the library to borrow Fathers' Day books, the books about fathers did leave the library this year, especially with the preschoolers and Kindergarten classes. This makes me happy because many of these books only leave the library once or twice a year. Father's Day is a pretty much a non-event in my house as the children are absent, but I do remember some good celebrations and some favourite books.

These five are my favourites and timeless. Unfortunately all are out of print and need republishing! They do not need to be read on Father's Day! Happy searching and then reading!

Not Like That, Like This! by Tony Bradman and Joanna Burroughes

I love the sense of silliness and fun in this book, the word patterns that young listeners and readers quickly predict, and the ending.






A Dad Who Measures Up  by Davide Cali

I love the initiative the girl in this story has. She is looking for a dad who measures up to her single-parent mum. Together with her mum she makes a list of all the necessary attributes and puts an add in the paper.




My Father's Shop by Satomi Ichakawa


I love the father son relationship here. Dad wants one thing and son is determined it won't happen. The solution to the standoff is very novel and amusing.






Smart Dad by Amanda Graham 


I love this one because living with boaties it is so easy to see this situation arising. Dad builds a boat in the backyard not thinking about the logistics of he  getting it out of the backyard!





 • The Dad Library  by Dennis Whelehan


Such a good read aloud. Who hasn't thought about swapping dads even if only for a short time? 

1 comment:

  1. I love all your choices for Father's Day. I need to read nearly all of these especially Smart Dad (my dad built a boat in a garage) and My Father's shop.

    ReplyDelete