Tuesday, March 29, 2022

29th March World Piano Day

We have had several displays in the library in the past featuring, violins, orchestras or just music in general, but we have never had one that just focussed on pianos. Given that so many students at school go to private piano tuition, some even during library time, I thought it is about time we did a picture book display that focuses on 'pianos' and 'pianists'.


When I went through the catalogue I was pleasantly surprised to see so many titles turn up. Of course many of them are picture book biographies, but there were enough just general fiction as well to make it worth while.


See David Litchfield's series about The Bear and the Piano.







The Piano Recital by  Akiko Miyakoshi








Piano Fingers by Caroline Magerl







Piano Piano by Davide Cali






Playing From the Heart by Peter H. Reynolds






If You Ever Want to Take a Piano to the Beach, Don't! by Elise Parsley







The Cranky Caterpillar by Richard Graham






And then look at all these biographies

The Little Piano Girl  (Mary Lou Williams) by Ann Ingalls and Giselle Potter

• The Red Piano ( concert pianist Zhu Xiao-Mei ) by Andre Leblanc and Barroux

• Dancing Hands (Teresa Carreno) by Margarita Engle and Rafael Lopez

I Am Mozart, Too (Maria Anna Mozart) by Audrey Ades and Adelina Lirius

Ketzel, the Cat that Composed (Moshe Cotel)  by Leslea Newman and Amy June Bates

Elton John  by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara and Sophie Beer









2 comments:

  1. This post has truly made me smile. I am seriously considering the purchase of a piano. Who knew there was a day - World Piano Day - amazing. The Piano Recital by Akiko Miyakoshi has such wonderful illustrations and The Red Piano is a text I used to read with Year 6. I think The Red Piano should be in all High School libraries. Thanks for sharing this terrific post about pianos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ketzel and so do the kids I read it too!

    ReplyDelete