Wednesday, June 8, 2011

8th June Judy Sierra (1945) Penny Dale (1954) Best Friend's Day








I wrote about American author Judy Sierra's birthday last year, but this week I purchased Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf! for a unit of work on 'wolves and fairytales' which I have planned for a Year 1 enrichment program and I was so excited by it that I had to write about Judy's birthday again so I could tell the world what a good book it is! B.B.Wolf visits the library (any book with a library in it is worth reading...) and resists all temptation to eat anything. It is such a giggle. Now I need to order Tell the Truth, B.B. Wolf! which is also illustrated by J.Otto Seibold and which I didn't know about till now when I looked at Judy's website.

It is also British author illustrator Penny Dale's birthday. She is well known to the children in my library because of Ten in the Bed and Ten Out of Bed which are on the Premier's Reading Challenge list. She has several other books though which are just as worth reading and her most recent one, Dinosaur Dig is sure to be a hit because it has preschool boys' three favourite things, dinosaurs, diggers and building sites.

And thirdly, it is Best Friend's Day, a good day to search out all those best friends in literature such as:
Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel
George and Martha by James Marshall
Houndsley and Catina by James Howe and Marie-Louise Gay
Dog and Bear by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Gossie and Gertie by Olivier Dunrea
Benny and Penny by Geoffrey Hayes
Bear and Chook by Lisa Shanahan and Emma Quay
Cat and Fish by Joan Grant and Neil Curtis


No comments:

Post a Comment