Monday, April 25, 2011

25th April Anzac Day, Stuart J. Murphy (1942)






It is Anzac Day in Australia and we have a holiday. Most schools commemorate it in some way though, either before or as is the case this year, after. I wrote about books to share for it last year here.

Today is Stuart J. Murphy's birthday. I know little about him except that he is the author of the Lois Ehlert illustrated book, A Pair of Socks. I know this book because I love Lois Ehlert, but reading about Stuart I see that he has many more books in his Math Start series and another series of books for Early Childhood called I See I Learn which I would also like to see more of.

Back to socks. Last year I was surprised to see how many 'sock' books we had in the library. A Year 1 class had made yellow socks when their teacher had shared Lucky Socks by Carrie Weston and Charlotte Middleton with her class. She gave them to me and I decided to put together a display. Everyone has the problem of odd socks and the washing machine eating them, so these books could lead to matching games, counting in pairs, wordbanks for footwear and words that rhyme with socks, making sock puppets or sock monkeys. So many options!

As well as the two books mentioned a display could include:
Fox in Socks by Dr Seuss
Fox's Socks by Julia Donaldson & Axel Scheffler
One Blue Sock by Emily Ballou & Stephen Michael King
Where's My Sock by Joyce Dunbar & Sanja Rescek
The Sock Fairy by Bobbie Hinman
Ducks Don't Wear Socks by John Nedwidek & Lee White
10 Little Sock Monkeys by William B. Winburn
My Dog is as Smelly as Dirty Socks by Hanoch Piven
and any of the three Sir Charlie Stinky Socks titles by Kristina Stephenson.
























































































No comments:

Post a Comment