Wednesday, July 12, 2023

16th Ice Cream Day

Ice cream is celebrated on the third Sunday in July in America and other parts of the world. It is probably in July because it is summer and hot. In Australia it is not summer, but the ice cream shops in my beachside suburb still seem to have customers. Do Americans really eat more ice cream than Australians?

I am always tempted to write ice cream as one compound word icecream. The spelling checker moves it apart. the dictionary says it's two words, but why? I wonder if Bonnie Bader explains why in her book Curious About ice Cream.

Putting together a display? Look for these:

• Should I Share My Ice Cream? by Mo Willems

• Vanilla Ice Cream by Bob Graham

• Gorilla Loves Vanilla  by Chae Strathie

• There's Broccoli in my Ice Cream by Emily MacKenzie

• Izzy the Ice Cream Fairy  by Tim Bugbird

• Ice Cream Summer  by Peter Sis 

• When Ice Cream Had a Meltdown  by Michelle Robinson

• Splat the Cat: I Scream for Ice Cream by Rob Scott

• I Scream Ice Cream by Amy Krouse Rosenthal







Easy chapter books:

• Johnny Boo and the Ice Cream Computer  by James  Kochalka

• Stick Dog Dreams of Ice Cream  by Tom Watson

• Captain Awesome vs the Evil Ice Cream Jingle  by Stan Kirby

• Spy Penguins: The Spy Who Loved Ice Cream by Sam Hay


And a biography:

• The Sweetest Scoop by Lisa Robinson and Stacy Innerst is a biography about the entrepreneurial, activist duo behind Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, met when they were twelve years old. Ben liked art, Jerry liked science, and they both loved food . . . especially ice cream!





No comments:

Post a Comment