Saturday, July 8, 2023

7th July World Chocolate Day


I usually only think about chocolate at Easter. I rarely crave chocolate, but my mother did and it would have been her birthday today. The history of chocolate goes back to 2000 BC when the Olmecs, an ancient civilisation in Central America, first started cultivating cocoa beans. 

How to celebrate? You have permission to indulge. I'm going to go looking for my son's favourite chocolate picture books The Big Block of Chocolate  by Janet Slater Bottin; Looking After Chocolates by Ronda and David Armitage and Max's Chocolate Chicken  by Rosemary Wells. You might see the theme - greed and selfishness. If they are in okay condition I'll gift them to my sister to read to her grandchildren. 

If you want to read something newer, try these picture books:

The Story of Chocolate  by Robin Nelson                         

The (Ferocious) Chocolate Wolf by Lizzie  Finlay

Love Monster and the Last Chocolate by Rachel Bright


These short chapter books:

The Chocolate Monster by Jan Page

Daisy and the Trouble With Chocolate  by Kes Gray

The Chocolate Touch  by Patrick Skene Catling


There are even biographies:

On the Corner of Chocolate of Avenue  by Tziporah Cohen tells the story of Milton Hershey and milk chocolate in America.

• How the Cookie Crumbled by Gilbert Ford

1 comment:

  1. I used to read the Chocolate Touch and Chocolate Fever to my students. Both are such fun to read aloud. I also had a terrific little non fiction book long ago - the cover looked like a real chocolate bar. I wish I could find the title. And of course I adore Max's Chocolate Chicken. I'm actually eating a chocolate bar as a write this comment!

    ReplyDelete