Friday, February 5, 2010

6th February




No one that I know of is celebrating a birthday today so today I am writing about the English author/illustrator Daniel Postgate whose birthday was yesterday. His illustrations are the antithesis of David Wiesner's. They are cartoon style and thus his books have a very humorous tone. For a long time I have been a fan of his version of The Hairy Toe, but my current favourite is Smelly Bill a book which is written in verse about a dog that stinks. Bill meets his match when he is left with Great Aunt Bleach. The illustration of her, complete with yellow and red polka-dot bloomers swooping down on Bill in the compost bin is wonderful. Even the snails are amazed!

While researching Daniel Postgate on the web I have learned that there are two more books about Bill, Smelly Bill Stinks Again and Smelly Bill in Love Stinks which I have not seen so as you can guess they have been added to the library wishlist. I'm thinking of putting Smelly Bill in Love Stinks out for Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment