Wednesday, June 30, 2010

2nd July Jean Craighead George (1919 - 2012)




Jean Craighead George is the author of the well-known award-winning novels My Side of the Mountain and Julie of the Wolves, but the children I teach know her for her picture books that also deal with the natural environment. On her website she says, " I write for children. Children are still in love with the wonders of nature, and I am too. So I tell stories about a boy and a falcon, a girl and an elegant wolf pack, about owls, weasels, foxes, prairie dogs, the alpine tundra, the tropical rainforest. And when the telling is done, I hope they will want to protect all the beautiful creatures and places."

The picture books that Jean has done with the illustrator Wendell Minor give children a beautiful insight into nature and they allow Australian children to visit environments that they may never visit as they are so far away. She seems particularly fond of the northern tundra and the animals that share their living spaces with the Inuit people.


No comments:

Post a Comment