Saturday, September 4, 2010

6th September






I don't have a birthday listed for today, but as I continue to add birthdays to my calendar, I find ones that I have missed. I missed Geraldine McCaughrean's and as hers was on the 6th June (1951), I thought I would do it today, just three months late. She is a British author who writes across a wide age range, from early readers to adults. She has won the Whitbread Children's Book Award a record three times for novels she has written.

Geraldine McCaughrean is especially good at retellings of traditional tales for primary-school-aged children. Year 2 become very excited about her books while studying Greek Mythology. She has written large illustrated anthologies of stories such as Greek Myths and Greek Gods and Goddesses as well as a set of beginning novel-type Greek myths that are part of an Orchard myths series. In 2005 she was selected to write the official sequel to J.M.Barrie's Peter Pan. It is called Peter Pan in Scarlet.

The library also has a number of picture books and early readers such as the Wizziwig series that are also written by Geraldine.

No comments:

Post a Comment