Tuesday, October 12, 2010

14th October Elisa Kleven



Elisa Kleven is an American author/illustrator who lives in San Francisco. I found this out when researching picture books about bridges and found that many of her books had the Golden Gate Bridge in them. Her illustrations flow effortlessly, are detailed and colourful and most noticeably they are exuberant. My library has only six of her books, the three Paper Princess stories, Ernst, Our Big Home (written by Linda Glaser) and The Weaver (written by Thacher Hurd) and looking at her website I find that there are many more. Maybe they are not easy to find in Australia. You can watch an interview with her and see more of her artwork here. The illustration above comes from Elisa's website and I have chosen it rather than book covers because:
1. I love it. It is from The Weaver.
2. There is so much debate on the web at the moment about picture books that it is good to reminded regularly of their value.

No comments:

Post a Comment